Thursday, April 8, 2010

Olive Garden Style Minestrone Soup

This is an easy and tasty dish plus it's great if you are dieting. The recipe came from Recipiezaar and I adapted it to fit my needs.  I add a bit of Parmesan cheese to the top of mine and it reheats nicely as well.

 

Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons olive oil or I use cooking wine/sherry
  • 1 cup minced white onion (about 1 small onion)
  • 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
  • 1/2 cup frozen cut Italian green beans
  • 1/4 cup minced celery (about 1/2 stalk)
  • 4 teaspoons minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
  • 4 cups vegetable broth (Do not use chicken broth! I was unable to find this at Walmart but my Kroger's had it)
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo and white kidney beans drained- I do one of each
  • 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomato
  • 1/2 cup carrot shredded
  • 2 tablespoons minced parsley- or you can do dried according to taste I just start shaking it in!
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper-I just use my grinder and do  a few turns since I'm not a pepper lover
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon  dried thyme
  • 3 cups hot water
  • 4 cups fresh baby spinach-I use a normal size bag
  • 1/2 cup small shell pasta- I get the salad shell size

 

                                            

Directions




  1. Heat three tablespoons of olive oil/wine or sherry over medium heat in a large soup pot.



  2. Saute onion, celery, garlic, green beans, and zucchini in the oil for 5 minutes or until onions begin to turn translucent.
     



  3. Add vegetable broth to pot, plus drained tomatoes, beans, carrot, hot water, and spices.
  4. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
  5. Add spinach leaves and pasta and cook for an additional 20 minutes or until desired consistency.
  6. Makes about eight 1 1/2 cup servings.

No comments: